British Waterways 1949 - 1963
After nationalisation Owl was transferred to the Docks and Inland Waterways Executive (the forerunner of British Waterways).
This is the only known picture of Owl from this period. It is moored alongside Aldegate at Old Ford, Regent's canal.
In the early 60s Owl was transferred to maintenance duties. It caught fire in St. Pancras Basin and it was sold in 1963 for £50.
(photo London's Canals by Herbert Spencer)
The missing years 1963 to 1968
We've not been able to say with certainty what happened to Owl during these five years. David Blagrove told us that it was moored on the K&A and was probably named "Boxer" since the bohemian owner kept boxer dogs.